Due to obvious reasons we’ve all discovered home working this year. Working away from the office gives all kinds of freedom that we never thought were possible, so let’s get the best of it. To find a place to work more effectively and alone I decided to look for a campsite at easy train distance from Brussels, and I immediately baptised it as my favourite working spot of all: Camping Les Murets.
With my camping gear, notebook and laptop I took the train from Brussels-North to Liege, and a quick train connection from Liege to Hony. From there it’s a 5 minute walk to the campsite. From door to tent it took me a big 1h30 only.
To give you an idea on my daily routine working there:
- 7h30 wake-up + granola with fruit breakfast
- 8h00 morning walk to the river, working on paper (structuring, brainstorming, making to-do list,…)
- 9h-13h working on laptop on the reception terrace (with Wifi and electricity to charge phone or laptop 😉 )
- 13h00 lunch / picknick (making a fresh salad, some canned fish…)
- 13h30 hammock time taking a nap, reading a book, working on paper, going for a swim in the Ourthe
- 14h-19h working on laptop in the hammock without wifi (and without distraction)
- 19h going for a walk, run, swim in the Ourthe, find a restaurant or food
- 21h read a little
- Sleep – Repeat
For 11 EUR per night you get a nice plot of campground in nature, next to a swimming spot in the Ourthe, access to showers and bathrooms and a terrace with food and drinks. It’s actually cheaper per night than renting your own apartment in Brussels. The campground offers pizza’s, but at 20min walking there’s some other restaurants. There’s a GR walking route passing along the campground, so that will always make for beautiful hikes as a break.
If you know other similar working locations in Belgium, please let me know and I’ll add them to this post. Can’t wait for spring to come.
p.s. for those looking for an alternative career, the campground is for sale and still open in the meantime.